Sunday, May 3, 2009

Harvest, Bake, Harvest

On Saturday we had a few people come over to plant some seeds in our vegetable garden. Our vegetable plot is currently taken up by 8 rhubarb plants. There are a few tendrils of lettuce coming out of the dirt and rampant scallions growing everywhere in patches, including the flower garden. There are these huge leaves on the rhubarb stalks, which I learned are toxic! That factoid makes the rhubarb slightly mysterious and dangerous in my eyes.






After chopping off the huge fans of leaves and rinsing of the dirt, I was left with beautiful stalks of pink-tinged green. After much chopping and copious amounts of sugar and butter, there was the most beautiful and satisfying rhubarb crumble (thinking of you, L).




I have a friend who will not allow her son to play in dirt - in the meantime, the Noo is constantly dirty and dusty from crawling and rolling. In the beginning I tried harder, but now I just make sure I get the little rocks and tree barks out of his mouth and that he doesn't pull the plants or flowers.

Speaking of plants - the most fragrant and beautiful lilac bushes are on the side of the house. They make me so happy. These and the peonies that will bloom any day now . . . . Friends, please come visit!



2 comments:

Metro Green Mama said...

I LOVE your garden! I'm so excited to hear about what else comes up, and hopefully we will see it soon (maybe in August?). There are many many reasons why it is healthy for the noo to play in the dirt, and it's even supposed to be good for him to eat some of it. I feel sorry for the "clean" no-dirt child. And anything that keeps his attention means more time for you to just breathe and be. So I say let him dig to his heart's content.

Metro Green Mama said...

Give us some new posts! Photos from the garden! Stories about Noodle! Photos of your crafty creations!! Please :)