Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hard to believe . . . .

The Noo is turning 1 in a few weeks! I really can't believe it. He is already his own person with his jokes, persistence, refusal to have us show him how to do things. In the beginning I had a hard time visualizing him as anything but a little, helpless warm . . . loaf. Of course we are throwing him a birthday party of which he will remember NOTHING, but we really just want to have an excuse to have our friends over to enjoy and celebrate spring (the rate at which things are bursting through a frenzy of spring showers is unbelievable and so, what's the word, hopeful). Of course I made the party invites - postcards I made on my trusty Gocco press.



The text turned out really well - very even application of ink - the stars not so much - very faded especially on the ends. But I actually like that, I guess - it lends a vintage appeal. The color of the paper is actually more of a light mustard/curry yellow - my latest color obsession. On the invites we stressed that people should not bring gifts - that's very important. Just bring libations so we can get rip roaring drunk (I know, very appropriate for a 1st birthday party, um guys . . . . where's the baby?) I also plan to have a pinata for the kids and adults who are kids at heart to attack - it will be filled with organic fruit lollipops, apples and clementines (this place is starting to have an effect on me), oh and what the hell, some gluten, nut, dairy-free something or another. On the menu - Asian fusion - thinking potstickers and cold sesame noodles and some kind of cucumber salad.

In other news, wrapping up my sewing class tonight. I sort of know how to sew now. Well, at least I know how to make a wristlet - which means I also know how to make a pencil case and make-up bag, sort of. Will post photos of the fruit of my labor later.

Looming over everything - the day to day, the fun, the creative, the yuck is of course the D. What a sad monster it's become. But I still chip away at it. A little a day (ok, more like every few days). My grad school compadres are leaving me behind in the dust. This must shock me to do something. Really.

No comments: