Friday, April 3, 2009

Missing in action

My mind, body and spirit have been MIA the past few weeks ever since I had the audacity to stay up past midnight and have TWO drinks on my birthday. Later that weekend the entire house was hit with the plague. On Mon. and Tues., my cold was so bad the husband had to leave for work late and stay late when he came home for lunch so that I could sleep away the incredibly persistent sinus headaches that hit me like a semi. Add on top of that a sick toddler (he's toddling around - not a baby anymore!!) who wanted to nurse around the clock like he was a newborn. Well at least I didn't have clogged ducts.
On top of that, the MIL was out-town for a whole two weeks visiting the newest addition to the clan (I am absolutely in love with my new niece!) In the beginning I seriously thought I was going to lose my mind (out of sheer panic at spending 24/7 with the boy), but it turned out to be not so bad, except for the week and a half I was out of commission. We went to playgroup one day - a most interesting experience; aside from the fact that all the children were white except for the Noo. It was also fascinating to see the range of development for infants around his age. There was another 10 month old trying with all his might to crawl and a 12 month old who wasn't crawling . . . . the nice thing was that no one seemed particularly concerned (at least not outwardly so, although I have to say I was a teensy bit only inwardly). Of course the other day one of E's colleagues made him feel bad (and then he felt bad about feeling bad) when she asked the Noo to give her five and then he stared at her blankly and she said "All babies know how to give you five" (eyeroll).
There was one toy that scared the bejezus out of the boy - a plastic toy with different shaped holes that made a weird wheezing sound when you inserted a block with the corresponding shape - it made him launch into a full-on cry! Pobre! He's not even really a baby anymore and that makes me incredibly happy and sad at the same time.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

It makes me feel happy and sad that noodle is growing up so fast! It is great to know that he is learning many new things and getting into the big boy stage...It is a little sad to be missing it, though. But mostly happy! YAY noodle!

Jalila said...

I know what you mean about the Noo growing into a toddler being happy and sad. Cailin's 1st birthday was very bittersweet for me. But overall having a one year old is very fun! I can't believe he's almost there.