Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How does she do it?

It is 9:39 on Tuesday night. I just made dinner. For tomorrow night. After I did two loads of laundry (with two more to follow). I have been up and about since 7 this morning. I work from 9:15-5:45 and then pick the boy up from daycare down the street. By the time we get home on the T, it is usually 6:40 or so in the evening. Then we have dinner, a little we love N time, bath, story, bed. I am so tired. Bone tired. I am not complaining. I have a very supportive partner, extended family to help with childcare and give us some adult downtime, time with my girls, but to all the working mothers out there, or even just mothers, how do you do it?! How do single mothers do it?!

I'm sure things would be a tad easier if we could afford a housekeeper or if I cared less about what food was put out on the table. But I want N to grow up in a house where eating dinner as a family is sacred. That's how I was raised, even though in my Chinese family, we didn't really make any small talk :) I want to be counter everything on the go. I want to be part of the slow movement, even though my mind is racing from thinking about all that I have to do tomorrow. Here's what I cooked after my two loads of laundry tonight.

Chicken with White Beans and Tomatoes
(From Real Simple Magazine's Weeknight Meals)

Yum!
There is nothing better than a wholesome one pot meal that looks and tastes like it took forever when it took less than an hour for with prep and cook time. Unfortunately I don't think it will taste as good when it is reheated tomorrow night.

As I blog I am also Google chatting and half watching the State of the Union Address. I don't even know how to concentrate on one thing anymore! So much for trying to take it slow.  Ah, the dryer just called out to me. Time for another load. 

But I am making time for my blog, because it is one of the few times I get to breathe.

1 comment:

Asher's blog said...

what an impressive dinner!

thinking that maybe i should follow your example and cook the night before...but, god that sounds hard. i'm impressed girl.