Sunday, February 22, 2009

crafting bug

Yay! I sold my first pair of earrings on Etsy! Of course they were purchased by a very dear and supportive friend for her sister-in-law. Oh well, I guess we all have to start somewhere. Perhaps the young lady will wear them and her friends will ask her about the earrings . . . .

I've decided if I don't have the energy or desire to work on the D when the Noo goes to bed, then I'm going to be productive in other ways - which means no TV! A friend of E's and his partner are having a baby in March - today we are going to their shower. He's a sex ed educator and she's a yoga teacher. He has a son and daughter by two different women - we're all secretly (and not so secretly) that the third times the charm. Interestingly they have asked for their baby gifts to be second hand when possible. I truly respect that - I wish I had it in me. I have purchased some really great gently used clothing for the boy, but I guess the consumer/first time mommy in me always wants the latest and the "best" for him. I try to rationalize certain purchases for him by telling myself those items will be passed on, which is pretty legit, considering we know at least 3 couples who are having babies in the next few months.

The couple whose shower we are attending today are opting for g diapers, reusable cloth diapers with flushable/biodegradable inserts, so we got them a pack of the inserts, an extra copy of Good Night Moon we have lying around and a gently used little cotton shirt. However, what I'm hoping they'll love the most is the card I made for them:




I used patterned paper and then sewed in little details for the legs, nest, wings, and leaves. Next time I'm going to try it with some fabric scraps - when I can get my hands on some (which should be soon - the MIL gave me sewing classes for my birthday (which I really wanted, but can't afford). Anyway, I love how it turned out - I think it's just darlin'. One of my goals is to stop buying cards for family and friends and try to make them as often as possible. I still am a sucker for beautiful letterpress cards though. Aaah letterpress . . . . don't get me started!

3 comments:

Asher's blog said...

beautiful card :)
i want to know how they organized the 2nd hand gifts. do they have a list somewhere that people cross off, or is it just random?

Metro Green Mama said...

omg I love that card so much! you crafty and creative mama you!

Jalila said...

nice card, i love it! i'm such a greeting card snob, and the only card store here is hallmark. :( so i just received a bunch of cards i ordered off of luxepaperie.com. but i was thinking i should start making cards too, i have all this stuff for stamp embossing that i haven't used in a long time. and congrats on the etsy sale!