Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I am now an Etsy-er!

What a wonderful week I had in Chicago, visiting with friends, eating good Mexican and Thai food, and going for a fun girls' night out viewing of He's Just Not that into You. I can still remember watching the male co-writer of the book on Oprah, dishing out "advice" to women with varied sordid dating lives, while thinking about my own sorry dating life or lack thereof. I miss Chicago, my life there and all the good people I know. It's all just so easy back there - everything here is two steps forward, one step back.

In an effort to get out of my funk, over the weekend I decided to officially join the wonderful and creative world of Etsy. I love all things handmade and regularly visit the shops to see what crafty and talented people are up to. Of course handmade is usually more expensive than mass produced, but after making a few necklaces and earrings here and there as gifts for friends, I've gained a new appreciation for the love, time and effort that goes into things handmade.



Although sparrows and owls and all things naturey circa 1970s are very in now, I have to say that I've always been drawn to sparrows, in spite of the city girl that I am. I made a pair of these earrings for Enid's birthday - they also happen to be my first item for sale on Etsy (thanks, Enid, for the stellar photography). If you're so inclined, check out my "store." Better yet, use it as an excuse to check out some truly amazing and covetable items made by some very talented people across the world.


2 comments:

Jalila said...

Those earrings are great! I love them! And I love Etsy, especially the baby and kid stuff, but it's a dangerous place for me since I'm trying not to spend money right now...

Ellen said...

Thanks, Jalila! Etsy is indeed a very dangerous place.