Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Love Day!

Last night we went out on a date. A sushi restaurant - we haven't had any sushi since we moved to to the Bridge. It was nice to get away for a few hours and be able to have some adult convo and check in with each other. We left dinner feeling like we are both happy with the life we have carved out for ourselves. Noodle is such a big part of our lives now, it's important for us to remember us. There is a lot of stress involving money, debt, etc. but I feel like we have a strong foundation. So good convo and touching base, good sushi, ridiculous bill for dinner. Sushi is definitely more expensive here than in Chicago. Let's just say we won't be eating out for the rest of the month.

I had Noodle with me for most of the week - the mother-in-law wasn't very available. Then a play date canceled - so I had a moment of panic, but really, it's not so bad anymore. He's a lot of work, but the joy he expresses and creates overrides the work (mostly). While he took a good long nap in the morning, I made a Valentine's Day present for the hubster. Cheesy, but it's me, and it's him.

I printed the photos on photo printer and stuck it on a mini canvas. Then I shellacked it with a coat of PVA. I like the effect of the PVA - I'll have to play around with it some more. I think I'm constantly struck by how much has happened to me in the past few years, and how much as happened to us. So I think I'm always trying to find ways to "document" it somehow, for lack of a better word. Sometimes I can't believe I'm married, much less with a little family of my own. I guess this is my way of pinching myself. I also got him this book I Like You - everyone needs this book.

It is a small gesture, cute but I think incredibly meaningful as well. It made me laugh out loud as well. Some of my favorite lines are:

I like you because if I think I am going to
throw up
then you are really sorry

You don't just pretend you are busy looking at
the birdies and all that

You say maybe it was something you ate

You say the same thing happened to me sometime

And the same thing did



It made me a little teary-eyed, too. But then again, what doesn't?

In the afternoon I tried to put the boy down for a nap. All three times he refused to got to sleep. Before he would just cry and cry. Now he does this. This is what he looks like when I come in his room:




The bordering seething rage I sometimes feel when he won't go down for a nap all but dissolves when I see him teetering in his crib with no pants on, giddy with love for his mama. Yes, it's time to lower the crib.

So he finally convinced me he just wasn't going to take an afternoon nap, even though he was rubbing his eyes like crazy. So he sat in his Svan and ate his Mum Mum and watched me make these:





Happy Valentine's Day, friends. I love you all.

1 comment:

Metro Green Mama said...

I'm glad that you got to spend some time celebrating your marriage! I think you have a very strong foundation indeed, and a lovely little family. Happy Love Day to you!