Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My most important project thus far: Nathaniel

I started this blog really as a creative outlet - a way for me to dream, imagine, vent, procrastinate and share with my friends and family both near and far. Also, Tiffany suggested that I start a journal so I guess here is my version. And I won't tell you how addicted to blogs I am - I have no idea who these people are, but I just want to be their bff. As most of you know, since moving to Cambridge, things have been a little rough for me- really for all of us. I've had very little time, energy or desire to be as creative as I want to be. Maybe I'll post some things I've made or been working on later when I have time . . . . I'm not always the best about calling, or even e-mailing, so unless you're on ichat all the time, I may not be in touch much, and I apologize for that. Stop by here and say hi or make fun of me when you get a chance!

Everything I've got is pretty much in this little guy. He's a handful, but so very worth it. To me, he is all the goodness in the world behind that easy, sweet, goofy grin and those large, hopeful and trusting eyes.



Many of you keep up with Nathaniel's goings-ons on Picasa Web (not always by choice, I know), but here's one of him in action - doing his "injured soldier" crawl (please excuse my inane chatter). I really want to phase out this posting on YouTube thing, because I feel icky about him being out there, but it's the easiest way tech-wise for my mother to see her grandson and Eli says no one will watch it. . . . Posting it on the blog takes forever, but I will figure it out one day.


As some of you know, we don't have the most ideal kitchen set-up here - the spices were being kept at ground level, but they have since been stored in a clementines crate on an Odwalla shelf (don't ask) we use to store pots and pans. We thought we'd do this before he figured out how to unscrew the jar of cayenne pepper . . . .Link



Before: easy access for one and all - all gone!




After: I know, isn't this fascinating??!!

Aah, the incredibly intriguing and enigmatic life I lead. Who knew? I know this will be a daily stop for you on the www and a must-read. I leave you for now with this prayer for our new president. It moved me to tears. It also makes me want to take a trip up to New Hampshire and listen to a sermon. I have never been moved to attend church . . . .

A Prayer for the Nation and Our Next President, Barack Obama

By The Rt. Rev. V. Gene Robinson, Episcopal Bishop of New Hampshire

Welcome to Washington! The fun is about to begin,

but first, please join me in pausing for a

moment, to ask God's blessing upon our nation and

our next president.

O God of our many understandings, we pray that you willÅ 

Bless us with tears - for a world in which over a

billion people exist on less than a dollar a day,

where young women from many lands are beaten and

raped for wanting an education, and thousands die

daily from malnutrition, malaria, and AIDS.

Bless us with anger - at discrimination, at home

and abroad, against refugees and immigrants,

women, people of color, gay, lesbian, bisexual

and transgender people.

Bless us with discomfort - at the easy,

simplistic "answers" we've preferred to hear from

our politicians, instead of the truth, about

ourselves and the world, which we need to face if

we are going to rise to the challenges of the

future.

Bless us with patience - and the knowledge that

none of what ails us will be "fixed" anytime

soon, and the understanding that our new

president is a human being, not a messiah.

Bless us with humility - open to understanding

that our own needs must always be balanced with

those of the world.

Bless us with freedom from mere tolerance -

replacing it with a genuine respect and warm

embrace of our differences, and an understanding

that in our diversity, we are stronger.

Bless us with compassion and generosity -

remembering that every religion's God judges us

by the way we care for the most vulnerable in the

human community, whether across town or across

the world.

And God, we give you thanks for your child

Barack, as he assumes the office of President of

the United States.

Give him wisdom beyond his years, and inspire him

with Lincoln's reconciling leadership style,

President Kennedy's ability to enlist our best

efforts, and Dr. King's dream of a nation for ALL

the people.

Give him a quiet heart, for our Ship of State

needs a steady, calm captain in these times.

Give him stirring words, for we will need to be

inspired and motivated to make the personal and

common sacrifices necessary to facing the

challenges ahead.

Make him color-blind, reminding him of his own

words that under his leadership, there will be

neither red nor blue states, but the United

States.

Help him remember his own oppression as a

minority, drawing on that experience of

discrimination, that he might seek to change the

lives of those who are still its victims.

Give him the strength to find family time and

privacy, and help him remember that even though

he is president, a father only gets one shot at

his daughters' childhoods.

And please, God, keep him safe. We know we ask

too much of our presidents, and we're asking FAR

too much of this one. We know the risk he and his

wife are taking for all of us, and we implore

you, O good and great God, to keep him safe. Hold

him in the palm of your hand - that he might do

the work we have called him to do, that he might

find joy in this impossible calling, and that in

the end, he might lead us as a nation to a place

of integrity, prosperity and peace. AMEN.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

powerful prayer! let's all hope for change

Unknown said...

I WILL ABSOLUTELY follow your inane chatter, because it so frequently echoes what's been on my mind, and because I miss you and your chatter. Glad to read we're fitting our Anthro demographic so neatly, all but the "suburban" part. How did they know I moved to the burbs?

Nathaniel is scrumptious. We'll most likely be in Newton the first week of March; I plan to spend much time with him and his parents, if you'll be around.

Jalila said...

Yay, I love your blog! Love the video of Nathaniel, and love the Obama prayer.