Friday, January 23, 2009

Not dissertating . . .

Blech. The sun has been shining, it's a balmy 40s - mounds of snow and ice are crashing off the roof (scares the crap out of me every single time). The Noo is with his grandma. Why am I not getting any work done? Perhaps I should revisit the little pep talk I gave myself last week when I first decided to get back on the bandwagon.

Hey, self:

1. For each Monday, Wednesday and Friday, set small tangible goals for yourself. Know that
some days will be more productive than others.

2. Try and write a little each day. Even if all you accomplish is one single-spaced page – each
of those pages will add up – they will amount to something. Don’t worry. On the days when
you just can’t write, cut yourself some slack. The point is that you are here. Trying and
confronting – doing.

3. Be proud of yourself. For being here. For being who you are. For all that you have
accomplished thus far in life, and all that you are about to realize.

To which Tiff added:

4. "Be gentle with yourself. If a few days don't go the way you plan, don't beat yourself up over it. Trust that you are in the process of doing what you need to do to finish and greet each day as new beginnings.

5. Treat yourself for your progress. You have to pour a lot of personal energy into this project and you're right, it's personal... so make sure you keep refilling that energy by allowing yourself to do things that bring you joy. Spend $5 on some beautiful beads to make earrings that you love. Or take a walk to a coffee shop and treat yourself to a delicious drink without feeling guilty for not being either at work or at home with noodle. Or spend an hour in a fabric store or clothing store just admiring all of the beautiful things and getting ideas for things you could make at home. It is important that you keep yourself well so that you can continue to put the best that you have into your work".

Thanks, Tiff. I guess today is just one of those off days. All I really want to do is bake cookies with my friend Emie. Which I will do in a short bit. Yay!

On Facebook, Eli is a member of this group called My wife makes me cookies. He posted this on a thread:
"Also, luckily she said she will now bake when she is stressed. so, i guess its a double-edged sword. cookies/stress banana bread/stress. oh yeah, a triple edged sword, like a sabre--fatness and largesse (one WIDE EDGE)". It made me laugh - like shoulders moving up and down, deep belly laugh. Those are good.


No comments: