Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Recent Anthropologie finds

Many of you know about my obsession with Anthropologie. I know - you'd think I'd be a little more savvy about where I shop, given all the market research that's been done about people who shop at Anthropologie (just Google it, pretty nutty) - yes, they essentially have me all figured out. I know the clothes are often ridiculously marked up and pretty hit and miss (some downright hideous), but I have a weakness for the store and I get mad when Eli tries to throw out the catalogues. Especially the store displays - now those people are GENIUS. Apparently the typical Anthro shopper spends 80 minutes in the store. On my last visit, sans the boys, I think I may have spent about 120 minutes, mostly because I had a $125 gift card from Christmas (thanks, bro!) in my sweaty, little hands and I had to make sure I was getting what I really wanted (too much buyer's remorse lately, that is, when I actually have $). Here's what I ended up getting, after 120 minutes in the store.

The Andesite Cardi (in heather gray)

I know, very predictable - my usual drapey look and gasp . . . GRAY! But I like it, I think. Anyway, I'm not sure why the sleeves are 3/4 length especially in the dead of winter, but I wear it anyway. But my best purchase ever at Anthro (which is currently hanging in my closet because it is even more weather inappropriate than the cardi) has to be this coat:



Eastern Flyaway Coat

I saw this lovely number all by it's lonesome on a sale rack jammed in with a bunch of hideously frumpy plaid coats. The original price of this coat was $228 (eye roll) and the sale price was scrawled in red pen on the price tag. After spending a few minutes staring at the illegible chicken scratch, I asked one of the harried salespeople and she said $49.95. Whaaaat??!! So I thought, this is worth trying on no? I noticed it was a size 0 - haven't done one of those in a while, but lo and behold, in the dressing room it fit (thank you Nathaniel for continuing to breastfeed)! So I am all excited and smug about my good find and take it up to the register. Imagine my disbelief when it scans in at $149.95. Um, noookay. So we both decided that it clearly said 49.95 in the red chicken scratch, but she couldn't even find it online because it was sold out so she calls the manager over who tells her to override it and sell it to me for 50 bucks! Yay, score, although I hope the chicken scratcher will not be penalized for forgetting that oh so important digit in front of the four. I am such a gleeful consumer, even as I'm writing this I am getting excited. Sigh. Now here's how I'd like to wear it (in Lotus Clouds world):



Replace model with me, on a romantic getaway aboard the Orient Express

In reality, I'll be wearing it pushing the baby in the stroller when it's a little warmer out, trying to look like a chic mom in Harvard Square, or if I'm lucky, maybe on one of my date nights. Last but not least, my best Christmas present from the hubster (that I picked out and bought online) is this lovely and slouchy gray number at a very discounted rate ; ) It's my versatile purse/diaper/computer bag:

I don't actually use that long strap, but it's nice to know I have the option if need be.

You'd think I'd be Anthro'ed out after this, no? You no me better than that - although one of my New Year's resolutions is to practice fiscal restraint (not that I have a whole lot of choice in that area).












2 comments:

Unknown said...

well friend, I had heard the story about the coat, but hadn't seen the actual item and I have to say.... GREAT BUY!!! it is all things you: beautiful, chic, and a great purchase... I so want to be like you! Oh! and say good job to Eli, the purse/diaper bag/computer bag is so delightful! Much love!

Anonymous said...

I walked by Anthropologie today and saw 3 women who worked there standing across the street, heads cocked to the side, gazing at their recently installed window dressings (and all wearing fabulous boots, by the way). So apparently they do put work into those displays! :)