Friday, February 18, 2011

Thankful for . . .

This was a challenging week professionally. There were a couple  of weepy days and taking off early from work. I work with youth ages to 11-20 in an after school program. Many of the youth call me "Ma". I'm the only parent on staff, although I suppose my colleagues and I consider all the youth we serve, our children. I have always been bossy/maternal by nature- to my friends, students, everyone I know. Some like it and some don't. I think this tendency to mother hen other people has increased now that I'm actually a mother. 

Youth don't always know to make the best choices. In my line of work, we don't tell young people what to do - they have plenty of adults who do that, for better or for worse. As adults in their lives, we try to help youth make informed decisions. That is why when adult volunteers who clearly know about boundaries, decide that it is a good idea to go over to a teen's (minor) house on Valentine's Day while the teen's parents are out of town . . . . I cry. I do that when I am sad and angry. Sometimes I wish I could leave my work at work. But can anyone really do that?

So it's been a tough week, but I'm thankful for so much. The young woman is mad at us for making a big deal out of her hanging out with a "cool guy," but she knows we love and care about her.  My son knows that he is loved and cared for. That is why today he was able to have his first full day of preschool and not react like the world caved in around him. What a sweet, brave and alive, young heart he is.



I am thankful for an awesome husband who is even more awesome on commercial holidays.
I have never gotten flowers delivered at work before. Nice and also embarassing.


I am thankful for a closet full of pretty clothes (bad pic, but cute dress).
Anthro First Whisperings Dress, EmersonMade Belt


Being able to visit an outdoor bookstore on a spring-like day during my lunch break.



A Friday night in a quiet house - with my guilty pleasures - fashion mags (what the hell is Miley Cyrus doing on the cover of Marie Claire?!), a glass of cava, and a few squares of Vosges chocolate (with ancho chiles for a kick).



On Sunday, I am going out for brunch with a new friend I met taking the T. Who knew, that on my rushed morning commutes with a cranky toddler, sweating buckets and cursing the decrepit MBTA, that I would make a new friend (one with FOUR girls, under the age of 7)? Very excited.

Cheers. 
The clutter in the background always looks less bad after a glass of sparkly.

3 comments:

Josie said...

It's so hard to leave work at work. I always admire the people who seem like they can. It sounds like your Friday nights sound alot like mine after a tough week. Hope it get's better!

Josie said...

P.S. I think i have that same glass! I had been looking for a glass like that for bubbly for soooo long and was so happy to find one.

Ellen said...

Thanks for stopping by, Josie! The glass is actually part of a vintage set that belonged to my father-in-law. We have the most amazing collection of glassware, thanks to his love of beautiful things.
Is your set vintage?